List:       darcs-users
Subject:    Re: [darcs-users] Re: Subversion vs DARCS (was: Moving sf.net CVS to cryptomonkey.net Subversion)
From:       "Zooko" <zooko () zooko ! com>
Date:       2003-07-07 17:41:47

> > FWIW, I usually dislike graphical tools.  It's good for the program to display
> > graphics to me -- graphics have much higher bandwidth than text does.  But it
> > is bad for the program to require input from me in the form of menu-selections-
> > and-mouse-clicks.  Menu-selections-and-mouse-clicks have *lower* bandwidth
> > than text does, and more importantly they aren't programmable.
>
> Well, the other thing that a graphical tool can do is allow the user to
> make choices in whatever order makes sense, which is why I think a
> graphical tool would be nice.  It would let you see all the conflicts and
> from all that information decide how to resolve each one.

Excellent point!  That's something enabled by the higher bandwidth of the
graphical computer->human channel.

I *do* hope such a graphical tool is command-line controllable and
programmable (with an embedded Haskell interpreter perhaps?  ;-)) so that
I'm not constrained by the lower bandwidth of the mousey human->computer
channel.

But I understand that you aren't actively writing such a tool right now
anyway.  It's a shame about those Haskell GUI libraries...

--Z