List:       darcs-devel
Subject:    Re: [darcs-devel] [Haskell-cafe] Windows Haskell CI
From:       Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh () earth ! li>
Date:       2020-05-09 11:13:38

On 06/05/2020 14:40, Ben Franksen wrote:

>> Given how slow bash scripts are on Windows, another strategy would be to
>> simply rewrite them in something else, e.g. something we can directly
>> interpret in Haskell. But whatever it is would still require running
>> compiled code on Windows somehow.
>
> You must be aware that we currently have 380 bash scripts. Rewriting
> them all cannot be described with the word "simply", even if such a
> translation were simple for a single script, which I doubt very much it is.

Yeah, ok :-) I meant that in the conceptual sense really. Of course at
best we could only hope to do a gradual migration rather than a big bang.

I do think that most test scripts are quite verbose and follow a fairly
standard pattern that we could maybe abstract over. There is some value
in checking the command-line behaviour and being as close as possible to
what a real user would do, but I'm not sure if it's worth doing it for
every single script.

Regardless, we would need a Windows runtime execution environment of
some form.

Ganesh