List:       darcs-devel
Subject:    [darcs-devel] [patch1634] Resolve issue2537: Allow / as root directory
From:       Gian Piero Carrubba <bugs () darcs ! net>
Date:       2018-01-18 19:01:18

Gian Piero Carrubba <gpiero@rm-rf.it> added the comment:

It occurred to me that this patch possibly doesn't work or could even do
harmful things in Windows, depending on how file paths are represented.
More specifically:

1. if absolute paths are in the form '/<volume>/<path>' (unlikely, I
think), this patch does evil things(tm), like considering '/D/file' to
be part of '/C/' repo.

2. if absolute paths are in the form '<volume>:\<path>' and the root of
a repo created in the top dir of a volume is '<volume>:\', i.e.:
'C:\file' and 'C:\' respectively, this patch fixes the problem on POSIX
but the issue still stands on Windows.

3. if absolute paths are in the form '<volume>:\<path>' and the root of
a repo created in the top dir of a volume is '<volume>:', i.e.:
'C:\file' and 'C:'(note the lack of slash) respectively, this patch
fixes the problem on POSIX. The issue was not present on Windows nor
this patch introduces a regression.

My guess is the right answer is the number 2, but I would be grateful if
someone could create a repo on the top dir of a volume and let me know
the content of the 'Root:' line in the output of `darcs show repo`.

Thanks,
Gian Piero.

PS: 'direction' (forward or backward) of the slashes is irrelevant as,
if I've read correctly the code, all backward slashes are transformed to
forward ones before comparing the paths.