List:       darcs-devel
Subject:    [darcs-devel] [issue820] wishlist: manage symlinks under version
From:       Zooko <bugs () darcs ! net>
Date:       2008-04-28 22:51:14

New submission from Zooko <zooko@zooko.com>:

Zandr the Operations/SysAdmin says that darcs ignoring symlinks "Makes it
challenging to use darcs for system administration tasks.", or words to that effect.

I think that there are at least two reasons why darcs has not yet added a
feature of managing symlinks.  One is that it raises questions about portability
to Windows and another is that it raises questions about security (if symlinks
point to a target outside of the repository, or to a file in the repository that
is not under version control?).

However, the other modern revision control tools seem to have evolved solutions
to these problems which are satisfying to most users, so perhaps we can learn
from them.  This seems like one of those wishlist items that is going to keep
coming up.

Here are a few hits from googling for "darcs-devel symlinks" and "darcs-users
symlinks":

http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-devel/2006-April/004309.html
http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-devel/2005-April/001842.html
http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2007-December/011461.html
http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2003-October/000454.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/darcs-users@darcs.net/msg02700.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/darcs-users@darcs.net/msg04025.html

messages: 4375
nosy: beschmi, dagit, tommy, zooko
priority: wishlist
status: unread
title: wishlist: manage symlinks under version control