List:       darcs-devel
Subject:    [darcs-devel] darcs replace -- punctuation
From:       "Samuel A. Falvo II" <sam.falvo () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-24 4:09:26

Some background on me...

Hello; I used to be on this list back in the 0.x days, hence, nobody
would likely remember me.  I've since lost touch as Darcs has always
been "good enough" for me.  Indeed, 1.0.1 was the last upgrade I ever
made when I went off elsewhere.

Some background on my current problem...

I now have 1.0.8, and I was attempting to perform a search and replace
function in several C files, when I came across this:

bash-2.05b$ darcs replace --token-chars="[a-zA-Z0-9_.\\\"]"
"\"cpu\\.h\"" "<lib65816/cpu.h>" *.c darcs: '\"' not supported.

This is bad, not so much because of C, but because I also manage Forth
projects with Darcs, and guess which character is valid (amongst
others) in an identifier?  :)  (Answer: anything *but* space!)

Some prior research on this seems to indicate that the current patch
storage format does not support recording "weird" character classes.

Therefore...

I am curious to learn if any progress is being made in this area.  I
am new to Haskell; I've gone through the tutorials, and would like to
get my hands a bit dirty with it.  I apologize if I'm "Such A n00B."

While I've done some research, I'm sure I missed important points of
interest.  I was wondering if anyone had a list of URLs I could check
to bring myself "up to speed" on this particular issue.  In
particular:

 * are there proposed designs?  What are their pros and cons?
 * Is there a roadmap where this "buglette" will be addressed by a
certain darcs version?

However...

I've recently had a *VERY* bad experience with submitting a patch to
the Firefox folks.  I won't go into details here, but suffice it to
say that there was an exorbitant amount of politicking involved, and
frankly, I feel like total crap for even bothering to try and fix a
bug that is, oh, I dunno, five years old and counting.

(Please don't ask me how I really feel.  The response will not be professional.)

I obviously expect politics here -- all significant projects need some
kind of organization for tracking changes to the code.  What is the
political process used here?  Will I expect to find lots of
resistance?  Is this a project where I need "thick skin" just to get a
_comment_ inserted into a source?  Is there a ``Good Ol' Boys'' clique
here?  My question, therefore, is related to, "How *painful* will it
be for me to contribute back to darcs?"

(I am currently employed by Workforce Logic, giving my services to
Google, so I'm quite well aware of things like code reviews, unit
tests, and so forth, relavent to working on a project with thousands
of engineers)

Thank you for your time.  Please e-mail me direct if this isn't
directly relavent to this list.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II