List:       darcs-devel
Subject:    [darcs-devel] [issue408] Slow Push and Pull with Remote Repository
From:       Thomas David Baker <bugs () darcs ! net>
Date:       2007-02-07 23:01:25

New submission from Thomas David Baker <bakert@gmail.com>:

Hello,

I'm trying to solve a problem with a repository.  Each pull and push
takes about 3 minutes.

It is a large-ish repository (109MB total, _darcs folder is 61MB, 2370
changes according to "darcs changes").

I set up ssh/scp/sftp logging to see what it was doing, as described here:

http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/DeveloperTips

It turns out that every time a pull or a push happens, hundreds of
commands like this are issued:

----------

scp -o ControlPath=/tmp//darcs-ssh/delroy@dev
delroy@dev:ersmithers_darcs_test/_darcs/patches/20061024182332-db8d4-6e9902a182892864b23efc86fa31c3352b7b9e4e.gz

/home/bakert/testdarcs/ersmithers_darcs_test/darcsHhasMC

----------

delroy@dev is where the repository I am push/pull-ing from/to is.

As each one takes up to a second this is why it is so slow.  Even if I
check out a new repository, make a one line change and then push it
still does hundreds of these.

I've tried issuing "darcs checkpoint" on the remote copy to no avail.
Probably unrelatedly if I try and do "darcs optimize --reorder-patches
--checkpoint" on my local copy I get:

----------

darcs: bug in darcs!
fromJust error at DarcsRepo.lhs:525 compiled 06:01:36 Sep 13 2006

----------

I'm not a darcs expert by any means and I'm really seeking any advice.
 Is the scp stuff normal?  Is there anything I can do to stop it or
speed it up?

Please let me know if any other information would help diagnose the problem.

The output of darcs --exact-version is:

----------

darcs compiled on Sep 13 2006, at 06:04:11
# configured Fri Jun 16 14:55:21 EDT 2006
./configure --no-create --no-recursion

Context:

[TAG 1.0.8
Tommy Pettersson <ptp@lysator.liu.se>**20060616160213]

Any help you can give greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

messages: 1466
nosy: EricKow, anonymous, bakert, beschmi, droundy, tommy
status: unread
title: Slow Push and Pull with Remote Repository