List:       darcs-devel
Subject:    [darcs-devel] darcs push --sign doesn't make sense
From:       Olivier Thauvin <olivier.thauvin () aerov ! jussieu ! fr>
Date:       2006-10-28 4:57:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

If I run:

[nanardon@draco mmm]$ darcs push --sign
nanardon@virgo:/home/darcs/mmm/unstable
darcs: Signing doesn't make sense for local repositories or when pushing over
ssh.

I am surprised by this message. push have --sign option, but I don't see any
other way to push patch except using ssh or on a local repos.

In fact I don't why it is useless to sign patch. The signature allow to
certify the patch has been really made by me. So can be use by anyone wanting
to check repos is not corrupted, can be usefull for some critical project
like ssh, gnupg or other security tools.

IIRC, when darcs apply the patch on the destination repos, it is disassemble
and rewrite, and so the rewritten patch cannot be resign of course. This
maybe explain why it is useless. Am I wrong ?

Would be nice if signed patches can be stored in repos in futur version.

Regards.