List:       darcs-devel
Subject:    [darcs-devel] [issue298] Backup working dir files when conflicts
From:       Eric Kow <bugs () darcs ! net>
Date:       2006-10-13 9:55:02

New submission from Eric Kow <eric.kow@gmail.com>:

Import of RT #91

markstos <mark@summersault.com> 2004-10-11
I like CVS' simple solution [to help recover from conflicts]. From
the CVS docs:

> "CVS tells you that there were some conflicts. Your original working
file is
> saved unmodified in `.#driver.c.1.4'."

Do others have interest in seeing something like this added to the darcs
conflict resolution system?

I think I would appreciate this additional recovery options (and I would
imagine others migrating from CVS would appreciate it as well).

markstos 2004-11-17
-------------------
I ran into another case today where this feature seemed useful.

I just did a 'pull' on the 'darcs-unstable' repo. I got the message:

You have conflicting local changes to:
./ReportBug.lhs

I thought "Oh, I'll look at what those are.".

But the file had been removed (I understand the feature was removed).

If there really were local changes that had been made to file, this
seems like
a data-loss case.

Adding (at least optional) backup files when conflicts happen seems like
an easy safety measure, and a helpful additional conflict resolution tool.

Instead of appending a revision to the file name like CVS does, darcs
could just use a
string generated from the date. With a granularity down to a second,
that should allow you to have several backups of the same file.

guest 2005-06-28
----------------
I would like a conflict resolver kinda like what BitKeeper has. An
interactive merge tool where you can choose which hunks to use for the
merged version of the file.

messages: 1081
nosy: EricKow, droundy, markstos, tommy
priority: wishlist
status: unread
title: Backup working dir files when conflicts are found
topic: Conflicts, FromRequestTracker