List:       darcs-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: [darcs-devel] Style issues [was: should we import...]
From:       David Roundy <droundy () darcs ! net>
Date:       2005-05-26 11:20:35

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 11:39:48AM -0500, Taral wrote:
> On 5/25/05, David Roundy <droundy@abridgegame.org> wrote:
> > I'd add though that perhaps we should alphabetize the imports (or somehow
> > specify their order), since otherwise people tend to add new imports at the
> > bottom, and we'll see conflicts anyways.  The trouble with alphabetizing is
> > that then a single change may have many little hunks inserting all the new
> > imports, which isn't very good either.
>
> I don't see why alphabetization is needed. Since the hunks are
> single-line, they should merge OK...

Single-line hunks to the same line conflict, and if people always add new
imports at the end of the list, they will always get conflicts.  So some
sort of a scheme to "randomize" the location of new imports would reduce
conflicts.  This is also the reason why we've got the files listed in
alphabetical order in the makefile.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net