List:       darcs-conflicts
Subject:    Re: [darcs-conflicts] Trying some permutations
From:       David Roundy <droundy () darcs ! net>
Date:       2005-12-28 18:54:45

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 04:32:33PM +0100, Arjan Boeijink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that I seem to get some understanding of conflictors, I tried to
> write down a few permutations.
> In some places I used an alternative notation though I'm not sure yet
> whether that are improvements.

I'm afraid I haven't time to read all of this at the moment (hectic family
times).  This looks good, and I'll make a point of reading them over
carefully, perhaps next year (i.e. next week).

> As start a simple permutation of 3 patches where only A doesn't commute
> with B:
>
>          A       B         C
>  <-->AB  <A;@B|  |@A;B>    C
>  <-->AC  <A;@B|  C'        |@A';B'>
>  <-->BC  C''     <A';@B'|  |@A';B'>
>  <-->BA  C''     A'        B'
>  <-->CA  A       C'        B'

This looks like an interesting test case.  I think it should be already
done correctly by the current code, but would be well worth writing up a
test to verify.

> A left or right conflict with an effect that's the inverse of its
> identity seems isomorphic to a middle conflict.
> Two commuting patches with an inverse:
>
>           A      A^      B
>  <-->AA^  [@A^]  [@A]    B
>  <-->AB   [@A^]  B'      [@A']
>  <-->A^B  B      [@A'^]  [@A']
>  <-->A^A  B      A'      A'^
>  <-->BA   A      B'      A'^

I'm not so sure of this.  You're saying that <A^;A| and |A| seem the same?
If true, that would be very handy.  But it seems a bit confusing to me,
since |A| says that "A" has a middle conflict, but it doesn't say what it
conflicts with.  Hopefully when generalizing the algorithms it'll become
more clear which representation is more useful, and if there's a nice way
to canonicalize these conflictors.

And this is as far as I got before lunch... which is early in these parts
for the benefit of a particular toddler's nap.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net