List:       dailydave
Subject:    Re: [Dailydave] So,
From:       Joanna Rutkowska <joanna () invisiblethingslab ! com>
Date:       2009-02-14 20:42:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Dave Korn wrote:

> "UAC should only be considered an extra security feature, which will remind
> users that the code they run potentially could harm their systems - it is not
> meant as a guarantee against code's ability to harm a system," Secunia's
> Kristensen added.
> --------------------<snip>--------------------

Heh ;) That rings a bell ;)

>   That made me snort into my breakfast cereals, I can tell you.  Has the
> entire security industry abandoned all hope of using the principle of least
> privilege and limited user accounts, or just him?

It seems so. Why otherwise everybody would be getting so excited about
yet-another-remote-bug-in-IE/Firefox/Safari? Why would the Flash/QT/etc exploits
be worth tens of thousand of $ on the black market?

Least privilege, seems to be a rocket science for the majority of population.
Sadly, this seems to include the ITSec community as well.

I wish more people make comments like Dave.

Cheers,
joanna.

"Give less shit about browser bugs -- run them in VMs!" (The 's' is important)