List:       dailydave
Subject:    Re: [Dailydave] Go British Telecom and British Cybercops!
From:       dan () geer ! org
Date:       2005-01-30 13:46:25

 > ... I guess given this general level of
 > technical skill, you can imagine the success they're having
 > catching actual hackers.

A bit of wisdom I got the hard way...

I was trying to put a corrupt politician out
of office and he had clearly violated the
State Ethics Commission rules.  I went to
them with evidence that was as good as you
could get without police powers.  The Deputy
Commissioner said this: "The only people we
can catch are those who are both venal and
stupid.  One is not enough, you have to be
both."  As you might guess, my quarry was
only venal.  And that was the end of the
tale.

I suspect that that episode was of a more
general nature, and that it applies here.

--dan