List:       dailydave
Subject:    Re: [Dailydave] great moments in comedy.
From:       Sir Mordred <mordred () s-mail ! com>
Date:       2004-01-19 11:10:16

>http://www.phrack.org/fakes/
>
>One thing I like about Phrack is that its very nature is a meta-hacker
>joke. For example, if two things are identified by the same thing, are
>they necessarally the same? Being able to deal with ambiquity is good.
>Laughing at namespace collision is perhaps a harmless side effect of the
>way people who are good at hacking think.
>

>This is one of my favs.
>http://www.phrack.org/fakes/p63/p63-0x09.txt
>
>In particular I like the stuff:
>
>Highly learned people such as high school graduates and CISSPs will tell
>you that VMWare, with the exception of the host's MAC address on its
>network interfaces, is undetectable and that anything a hacker could do
>would work just as well on a VMWare host as it would on a system
>"running under its own power". This would truly be nice if it were not
>also absolutely incorrect.

>Standards:
>	Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
>
>This is more telling. Look at your cdrom. VMware does give sufficient
>information in the device's identity. Since before I ever logged
>on to the Internet, before the days of the Pentium Pro, drives were
>using ATAPI-2. The reason hdparm lists the standards as "Likely
>used CD-ROM ATAPI-1" is because VMware does not return any determining
>information  -- hdparm is left guessing. This is a limitation of the
>program code, and more telling then the Serial number or Firmware revision.
>
>Also:
>--[ 1. Background
>
>   For all you trivia fans out there who may have enjoyed playing the
>'6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon,' I now introduce a new and fascinating game
>with a hacking/IRC twist! The name of the game is, as you may have
>guessed, 'The 6 Degrees of Jobe' and there are several ways to play...
>some more challenging than others.
>
>  Intuitively, the game is to show that Jobe is at the center of the
>hacking universe. The goal is two link two arbitrary people through Jobe,
>in no more than 6 links. There are a few ways to play:
>
>        linking people through those who KNOW jobe
>        linking people through those who have OWNED jobe
>
>Sometimes, a few more than 6 links are needed, especially to establish a
>very strong link. What we could have done sometimes flimsily in 6 links,
>we chose to do in more just to be convincing.
>

>hahahahaha. That's just great comedy.

I liked p63-0x05.txt somehow:

<snip>
--[ 3. Conclusion

I think it is safe to say that whitehats around the world are working
for Lance, trying to get as many of the internet users/programmers as
possible caught in their honeynet.  Don't stand by idle, fight against
these honeypots... or soon Lance will get his wish and the entire internet
will be as vulnerable as default redhat installs.  One giant honeynet, and
the attackers will not be scared.  We are watching you too Lance.  Even in
the shower.  You have a small pecker.

</snip>

Best regards,
// Sir Mordred

NOTE:
This letter has been delivered unencrypted.

We would like to remind you that full end-to-end protection
of email correspondence is only provided
if both sender and recipient are Secure Mail users.

To register free at Secure Mail, please visit our site:
http://www.s-mail.com