List:       cyrus-info
Subject:    Re: cyrus imapd 3.x - cannot physically delete messages from mailbox
From:       morse () ikrg ! com
Date:       2023-11-15 18:45:45

--17000739451.Cf17B0A.378261
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 13:45:45 -0500

I am unfortunately still struggling with this issue.

I've tried setting both expunge_mode and delete_mode to both delayed and immediate, \
neither helps. Again, expunging is not working except for the Trash folder, yet I see \
no differences for the permission and settings for this folder compared to any other.

I am not seeing the `/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/delete` annotation anywhere, on any \
folder, so I'm wondering if perhaps this is why folders are not being deleted from \
the filesystem, except for the Trash folder (which also does not show this \
annotation).

I've tried setting this key-value pair, which apparently is inherited, on for example \
my top-level mailbox, to no avail. I keep getting permission denied errors (whether \
running cyradm as myself or user `cyrus`, whether using the `--private` flag or not). \
The following output exemplifies this (cyradm as user `cyrus`):

cyrus@s1:~$ cyradm localhost
Password:
localhost> info user.morse
{user.morse}:
  private:
    check: NIL
    checkperiod: NIL
    comment: NIL
    sort: NIL
    specialuse: NIL
    thread: NIL
    expire: NIL
    news2mail: NIL
    sieve: NIL
    squat: NIL
  shared:
    check: NIL
    checkperiod: NIL
    comment: NIL
    sort: NIL
    specialuse: NIL
    thread: NIL
    annotsize: 0
    duplicatedeliver: false
    expire: NIL
    lastpop: NIL
    lastupdate: 15-Nov-2023 12:03:09 -0600
    news2mail: NIL
    partition: default
    pop3newuidl: true
    pop3showafter: NIL
    sharedseen: false
    sieve: NIL
    size: 796492
    squat: NIL
    synccrcs: 0 0
    uniqueid: 54bcc55c4b667301
localhost> mboxconfig user.morse /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/delete 0
mboxconfig: Permission denied
localhost> mboxconfig --private user.morse /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/delete 0
mboxconfig: Permission denied
localhost> setmd user.morse /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/delete 0
setmetadata: entry must begin with /shared or /private
localhost> setmd user.morse /shared/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/delete 0
setmetadata: Permission denied
localhost> setmd user.morse /private/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/delete 0
setmetadata: Permission denied

As I understand it, the documentation on cyr_expire states that this specific \
annotation *must* be set for messages to be deleted from the filesystem. Yet I cannot \
seem to set it, nor to I see it set on for example my user.morse.Trash folder, the \
one place where expunging is working as expected when cyr_expire runs.

So, I'm really at a loss here after many hours of investigation. Please help folks.

--17000739451.Cf17B0A.378261
delete_mode to both delayed and immediate, neither helps. Again, expunging is not \
working except for the Trash folder, yet I see no differences for the permission and \
settings for this folder compared to any other.<br /><br />I am not seeing the \
`/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/delete` annotation anywhere, on any folder, so I&#39;m \
wondering if perhaps this is why folders are not being deleted from the filesystem, \
except for the Trash folder (which also does not show this annotation).</div><div><br \
/></div><div>I&#39;ve tried setting this key-value pair, which apparently is \
inherited, on for example my top-level mailbox, to no avail. I keep getting \
permission denied errors (whether running cyradm as myself or user `cyrus`, whether \
using the `--private` flag or not). The following output exemplifies this (cyradm as \
0;border-radius:3px;border:1px solid #ccc;padding:7px \
10px;background:#f6f6f6;font-family:menlo,consolas,monospace;font-size:90%;white-space:pre-wrap;word-wrap:break-word;overflow-wrap:break-word;">cyrus@s1:~$ \
                cyradm localhost
Password:
localhost&gt; info user.morse
[...]
localhost&gt; mboxconfig user.morse /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/delete 0
mboxconfig: Permission denied
localhost&gt; mboxconfig --private user.morse /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/delete 0
mboxconfig: Permission denied
localhost&gt; setmd user.morse /vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/delete 0
setmetadata: entry must begin with /shared or /private
localhost&gt; setmd user.morse /shared/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/delete 0
setmetadata: Permission denied
localhost&gt; setmd user.morse /private/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/delete 0
the documentation on cyr_expire states that this specific annotation *must* be set \
for messages to be deleted from the filesystem. Yet I cannot seem to set it, nor to I \
see it set on for example my user.morse.Trash folder, the one place where expunging \
I&#39;m really at a loss here after many hours of investigation. Please help \
folks.</div><div id="topicbox-footer" style="margin:10px 0 0;border-top:1px solid \
#ddd;border-color:rgba(0,0,0,.15);padding:7px 0;">

<strong><a href="https://cyrus.topicbox.com/latest" \
style="color:inherit;text-decoration:none">Cyrus</a></strong>  / Info / see
  +
  +
style="float:right">Permalink</a> </div>
--17000739451.Cf17B0A.378261--