List:       cyrus-info
Subject:    Re: Newly arrived mail is marked as "read"
From:       "ellie timoney" <ellie () fastmail ! com>
Date:       2020-06-29 3:31:09

Hi,

I'm not sure, but it kind of sounds like your mailbox's index version is too old?

Around 2.4, the storage of the mailbox owner's seen state was moved from the seen \
databases to the cyrus.index.  (i.e. nowadays the seen database only stores the seen \
state for _other_ users who have been given access to a mailbox -- which is often \
nobody).

If your mailbox indexes have not been updated yet, then they won't have a field to \
record the owner's seen state, which might result in the behaviour you're seeing?

To update your mailbox indexes to the latest version, you can use the "-V max" option \
with the reconstruct utility.  The upgrade documentation for 3.0 \
(https://www.cyrusimap.org/3.0/imap/download/upgrade.html#reconstruct-databases-and-cache) \
mentions that this may take a long time, so maybe you already saw this but haven't \
gotten to that stage yet.

You should definitely take note of the warning on that page though, and consider \
upgrading to at least 3.0.11 rather than 3.0.7.

Hope this is helpful!

Cheers,

ellie

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020, at 10:43 PM, Cheng-Jih Chen wrote:
> I'm in the process of testing the upgrade from a CentOS 6 box running
> 2.3.16 to a CentOS 8 box running 3.0.7.
>
> The upgrade has been less troublesome than expected, but I'm seeing a
> strange problem with newly received mail being marked as "read" even
> though they have not been opened by the client.  This is the case for
> both mail sent locally as well as mail received externally (Gmail).
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to look to fix this?
>
> Thanks.
> ----
> To Unsubscribe:

----