List:       cyrus-devel
Subject:    Re: Release 2.5 status update
From:       Bron Gondwana <brong () fastmail ! fm>
Date:       2014-12-12 11:08:19

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014, at 09:47 PM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> So I got sidetracked a bit:
>
> commit 9bfeeec1d9140ec04e9bbe6119f3626b4238212d
> Author: Bron Gondwana <brong@fastmail.fm>
> Date:   Wed Oct 29 10:46:02 2014 -0700
>
> mailbox: support old versions back to v6 transparently
>
> Makes upgrade from 2.3 not suck so hard
>
> ================
>
> This was a majorly requested feature.  It took a lot of work, but I think it's \
> solid now.  It works even with Cyrus 2.2 I hope (I haven't managed to build it on \
> my machine yet, gotta install an older linux version and run something up.
> Still to do is making sure that we only write old-format mailboxes.db entries when \
> writing old format cyrus.index records, and we should be able to seamlessly upgrade \
> or downgrade for all the known versions, which is pretty cool.
> The cyrus.cache format hasn't changed appreciably in that time (yet, I have plans), \
> so it should be fairly backwards compatible.  The one thing that did change is some \
> character encoding, so cyrus.cache based searches might be a bit strange.
> I still have to do the sync work - sync-based XFER is a nice to have (needed for \
> CMU, but not a regression) - but I don't want the existing sync code to be in a \
> release version that we need to support.
> And that's that :)  I'm going to keep working on the sync stuff as much as I can \
> over the next week, and let you know how I'm going by then.  I'm sorry that it's \
> not as released as I had hoped by now - feel free to play with the master branch at \
> CMU, it's pretty solid already.

Of course, that was assuming no bugs in anything else that went into the 2.5 branch \
late.  Jeroen has been testing 2.5 as itself, and I've been testing the fastmail \
changes rebased on top of 2.5 - and we're both still hitting lots of issues.  I \
pushed another 20 or so patches back today.

I'm really hoping to get 2.5 + our patches into production at FastMail soon, and then \
I'll feel a lot more confident releasing 2.5 proper.  I don't want to give you \
something half-baked that corrupts data - that's the real fear.  So not quite there \
yet, so sorry.

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana