List:       cygwin-xfree
Subject:    RE: X windows display problem
From:       "Pille Geert (bkarnd)" <geert.pille () vandemoortele ! com>
Date:       2002-09-02 7:54:11

Hallo Meredith,

I lost a couple of days on the same problem because my client's hostname was
"GHP-VP6", and so DISPLAY on the client side was "GHP-VP6:0.0".

When I replace DISPLAY's value by simply ":0.0", before ssh'ing to a host,
all (and most importantly: X) was well.

I haven't checked if it was the special (?) character "-" that caused the
problem, I used to have underscores in all my hostnames until I found out
that Apache refused to run on a host called GHP_something (there is an RFC
saying which characters are allowed).

Just in case  (your client's hostname isn't Jules)

Geert