List:       cygwin-apps
Subject:    Re: libtool can't build shared library unless -no-undefined specified
From:       Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps <cygwin-apps () cygwin ! com>
Date:       2024-05-17 4:50:39

On 2024-05-16 15:45, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 5/16/2024 4:24 PM, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Trying to update dateutils, autotools build fails with:
>>
>> libtool: error: can't build x86_64-pc-cygwin shared library unless
>> -no-undefined is specified
>>
>> Suggestions for overrides or fixes?
>>
>> Tried:
>>
>> LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -Wl,--no-allow-shlib-undefined -Wl,--no-undefined"
>>
>> CYGCONF_ARGS="
>>       --enable-contrib
>>       --enable-tzmap-fetch
>>       lt_no_undefined_flag=--no-undefined
>>       no_undefined_flag=--no-undefined
>
> You and I discussed this a few years ago in connection with curl.  The solution
> there, and in most similar cases, is to add -no-undefined to the appropriate
> lib*_la_LDFLAGS variable(s) in Makefile.am.  See
>
>    https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2020-August/040411.html

Thanks for the reminder Ken,

You must have a great memory and/or search strategy.
Even checking back on curl and github I have zero memory of making this patch,
and it being accepted upstream, but this should prompt me to remember to search
wider in my email hierarchy, and in my own package repo clones and directories
for patches.
Now your response is starred in my email.
Perhaps I worked contract gigs too long, my memory compressor kicked in, and
swapped that out to external storage (here!)
Hoping this will perhaps hammer a nail in my memory to hang that info on.

Cheers!

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry