List:       cygwin-apps
Subject:    Re: calm: vaulting ancient unifont
From:       Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps <cygwin-apps () cygwin ! com>
Date:       2024-05-06 16:46:16

On 2024-05-06 09:27, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 04/05/2024 20:21, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> Thanks Jon? - yay!
>
> Right, I deployed some changes to calm which will gradually let us get rid of
> the "old-style" of obsoletion (where, as here, the old name of a package (i.e.
> font-unifont-misc, font-unifont-ttf) continues to exist with a category of
> _obsolete and requires: its replacement)
>
> (cygport stopped generating these some time ago (0.34.1, 2022), but they've been
> lingering around indefinitely, because in some cases it's only the existence of
> these packages which currently records the fact of the obsoletion)
>

> Since someone's bound to get the wrong end of the stick: This doesn't mean
> package maintainers should change anything.
>
> And just to reiterate: As a principle, every version of a package must contain
> complete instructions for upgrading to it. So, it is almost never correct to go
> "I'll remove these OBSOLETE instruction after one package release with them,
> since they've already happened everywhere..."
>
>> On 2024-05-04 09:48, cygwin-no-reply-rDBXBDvO6BXQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org
>> wrote:
>>> INFO: vaulting x86_64/release/unifont/unifont-8.0.01-1-src.hint
>>> INFO: vaulting x86_64/release/unifont/unifont-8.0.01-1-src.tar.xz
>>> INFO: vaulting
>>> x86_64/release/unifont/font-unifont-misc/font-unifont-misc-8.0.01-1.hint
>>> INFO: vaulting
>>> x86_64/release/unifont/font-unifont-misc/font-unifont-misc-8.0.01-1.tar.xz
>>> INFO: vaulting
>>> x86_64/release/unifont/font-unifont-ttf/font-unifont-ttf-8.0.01-1.hint
>>> INFO: vaulting
>>> x86_64/release/unifont/font-unifont-ttf/font-unifont-ttf-8.0.01-1.tar.xz
>>> INFO: vaulting
>>> x86_64/release/unifont/unifont-debuginfo/unifont-debuginfo-8.0.01-1.hint
>>> INFO: vaulting
>>> x86_64/release/unifont/unifont-debuginfo/unifont-debuginfo-8.0.01-1.tar.xz
>>> SUMMARY: 8 INFO(s)
>
> Anyhow, double checking that the "right thing" happened here, I notice that
> 'unifont' obsoletes 'unifont-debuginfo', which seems a bit weird, especially
> since it contains the expected .dbg files etc.
>
> Brian,
>
> Are you sure that's right?

It appears not!
My reasoning was that as unifont-viewer was split out from unifont-fonts,
unifont-viewer-debuginfo would be generated, but it appears that is not how that
works.
Is there any way to make that work, or should I just drop it in the next
release, or a new -RELEASE?

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry