List:       cygwin-apps
Subject:    Re: [ITA] bash-completion/-devel
From:       Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps <cygwin-apps () cygwin ! com>
Date:       2024-05-03 14:58:29

On 2024-05-03 07:40, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 29/04/2024 22:13, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> I would like to co-maintain or adopt and revive the above package, which was
>> adopted by Eric but not updated since Yaakov.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I added this to your packages.

Thanks Jon

> I guess I need to ask eblake if he wants to orphan his packages, since he seems
> to be no longer active...

Looks like he's busy with Austin Group POSIX + IEEE update plus work

>> Below are links to existing source packages, build repos, scallywag runs, and
>> updated package info.
>>
>> I would like to further improve the sdesc and ldesc provided to reflect that
>> completions are provided for thousands of commands and their options and
>> arguments.
>>

>> Bash Completions and development
>>
>> Existing source package:
>>
>> https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/bash-completion-src.html
>>
>> Updated cygport:
>>
>> https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/bash-completion/tree/bash-completion.cygport?h=playground
>
> A few comments:

>> DEPEND="automake dejagnu make screen"    # tcllib
>> BUILD_REQUIRES="$DEPEND"
>
> Just set BUILD_REQUIRES.
>
> I assume the comment about tcllib means something to someone. :)

Checked Fedora spec for "advice" - required for testing - n/a on Cygwin

>> src_test() {
>>     cd $B
>> # For some tests involving non-ASCII filenames
>>     export LANG=C.UTF-8
>>     export -f cygtest
>> # This stuff borrowed from dejagnu-1.4.4-17 (tests need a terminal)
>>     tmpfile=$(mktemp bash-completion.screen.XXXXXXXXXX.tmp)
>> #   cygtest
>
> At first glance, because this is commented out, I thought "so this doesn't run
> tests at all"
>
> Maybe remove the commented out line, and write a comment saying something like
> "run tests under screen, since they need a terminal"
>
>>     screen -D -m bash -c '( cygtest ; echo $? ) >'$tmpfile
>>     cat $tmpfile
>>     result=$(tail -n 1 $tmpfile)

Also borrowed from Fedora spec.
Plan to do more comments and cleanup before merging to master.
They also had a ChangeLog generation problem so reported upstream and made my
own; they are trying a fix and update or may have a newer package release.

> This cleverness to propagate the exit code is probably also worthy of comment,
> since I had to think about it for a few minutes before I realized what it was
> doing...
>
> Perhaps should remove tmpfile here?

Must have deleted instead of commenting out!

>>     return $result
>> }

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry