List:       cygwin-apps
Subject:    Re: ELFIO package proposal
From:       Nicholas Wourms <nwourms () netscape ! net>
Date:       2002-08-25 19:34:01

Serge Lamikhov-Center wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in becoming a package maintainer for package ELFIO.
>
> ELFIO is a C++ library for reading and generating files in the ELF
> binary format. This library is platform independent. It uses standard
> ANSI C++ constructions and runs on a wide variety of architectures. The
> library used for reading and producing object and executable files for
> several POSIX platforms and is popular in embedded world.
>
> For the moment, the ELFIO library achieved its stable/production status
> and has a relatively big number of downloads.
>
> The development of the library hosted at Sourceforge site:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/elfio
>
> The library's home page:
> http://elfio.sourceforge.net
>
> Here is setup.hint file proposal:
>
> # ELFIO library
> @ ELFIO-1.0.0
> category: Devel
> sdesc: "ELF file reader and producer implemented as a C++ library"
> ldesc: " ELFIO is a C++ library for reading and generating files in the
> ELF (Executable and Linkable Format) binary format. This library is
> unique and not based on any other product. It is also platform
> independent. The library uses standard ANSI C++ constructions and runs
> on a wide variety of architectures."

Considiering this is useful for embedded application development and
such, I think it would be a good addition to the cygwin distribution.
 That and the fact that a platform-independant implementation of the ELF
standard is just plain cool!  I encourage anyone to check out the
homepage, it is really fascinating.  I guess we should get one other
person's opinion and then we'll see what you're packaging looks like.

Cheers,
Nicholas