List:       cygwin
Subject:    RE: WINVER
From:       Robin Crampton <rcrampton () armature ! com>
Date:       1998-06-30 9:28:03

>Rather than expect that we'll smack our heads and say, "Oh!  Of course!
>WINVER!  I'll add it right away!"  Why not take some time and explain
>what WINVER is and provide a patch to add it to the correct place?

Sorry.  I just assumed you'd have a genuine (!) windows.h knocking about.
Though I think you're being a bit harsh, I did say:

>I've just noticed that WINVER is not defined in the GNU version of
>windows.h.

So all you had to do was look in Microsoft windows.h and BAM! there it
is.

At the very top of windows.h (right after the multiple-inclusion guard),
this idiom appears:

 #ifndef WINVER
 #define WINVER 0x0400
 #endif

In mmsystem.h, lots of lovely new functionality is switched on thus:

 #if(WINVER >= 0x0400)

And this new stuff is what I couldn't get at (initially).

I've never written a patch before, but I'll give it a go...
Any pointers?

-