List:       cygwin
Subject:    Re: Map home dir drive (H:) to /home/myuser/ ?
From:       L A Walsh via Cygwin <cygwin () cygwin ! com>
Date:       2023-07-30 0:22:45

On 2023/07/28 21:24, Roland Mainz via Cygwin wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> ----
>
> Does Cygwin have a way to map a (NFS) home dir drive (H:) to
> /home/myuser/, without resorting to POSIX-style softlinks ([1]) ?
>
> Example:
> 1. Home dir mounted on drive H: via NFS
> 2. How do I now map H: to /home/myuser/ ?
>
> For example Linux and Solaris use the automounter to mount NFS dirs
> directly to /home/myuser/ , and Solaris uses lofs (loopback
> filesystem) to mount a local users home dir /export/home/myuser/. Does
> Cygwin have a similar facility for drives represented by drive letters
> (e.g. H: [2]) ?

---
Not really -- as the automounter and lofs are OS features in linux that
are not in Windows.

Windows can do similar if you have a Windows server that provides
smbfs/cifs mounts.  I do the same with a linux-samba server that
provides a home-directory service to users, but Windows requires a
server of some sort to provide some of these things, AFAIK.

In my setup, though, 'h' provides the home directory of the user ON the
samba
server -- different the "local home dir".  What you want, sorta CAN be
done in
that samba can also provide a user dir that provides scripts that get
read into a user environment that can set the home dir through the
environment.

But setting "USERPROFILE" and such would have to be done/user -- maybe as
part of creating a Domain that can controll users+logins.  I did that ages
ago when Win7 first came out -- and am not sure what new facilities
there are
for doing that, other than I think Win10/11 can't really be part of a
Domain --
only business versions of them.

Remember, NFS isn't a Windows technology so I wouldn't expect it to give
you much in the way of Win-compatible feature -- though it might give
you more feature if you limit yourself to the POSIX subsystem -- not sure
how that works with Win10/11's linux subsystem (or if it does at all).