List:       cygwin
Subject:    Re: Fwd: cygwin texlive problem
From:       "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh () cygwin ! com>
Date:       2013-12-19 17:55:20

On 12/19/2013 12:47 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 12/19/2013 10:08 AM, Valerie Livina wrote:
>> Dear Prof. Ken Brown,
>> I apologise, I just sent the email unfinished - I continue it here.
>> I found your email in Cygwin mailing lists, and I understand that you
>> are an expert in TeXLive packages in Cygwin. I would be very grateful if
>> you could help me in my installation problem, or advise me who could I
>> contact regarding this.
>
> Your mail should have gone to the Cygwin mailing list.  Please send any
> followups there.
>
>> I have cygwin32 installed on my computer (running Window7 64-bit). I
>> installed cygwin32 because I need to use xmgrace, which is not yet
>> available in the 64-bit version.
>> I compile a tex-file with some glossary using fonts that are not
>> available in the default TeXLive package and get error message, which is
>> disccussed here:
>> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/97123/problem-finding-metafonts-at-compilation
>>
>> I understand that I have to install additional fonts, so I run again
>> Cygwin installer and add the recommended packages,
>> texlive-fonts-extra
>> texlive-fonts-recommended
>> I add these two packages in the Cygwin installer and then it suggests me
>> to choose a server for installation.
>
> Are you running setup-x86.exe from the Cygwin website?  It should ask you to
> choose a mirror very early in the process, not after you've selected packages.
>
>> I have spent two days already trying to get access to most of the
>> servers in the list, and none of them allows me to perform installation.
>> The status bar gets stuck in the middle of Progress, and after some time
>> the installer says that I have to choose another server. It keeps going
>> like this without installing the packages, as if theres is some general
>> problem with installation.
>> Would you please advise how can I solve this problem?
>
> At what point does the installation get stuck?  Is it during the download?
> And what's the exact error message that you get?
>
> By the way, I don't think your problem has anything to do with TeX Live,
> except that the packages you're trying to install are moderately large.  Do
> you generally have problems downloading large files?

Also, it's always possible to navigate to the mirror in question (through a
browser, for example) and see if the package causing the problem can
successfully be downloaded that way.  I'm not recommending this as a
workaround really.  I'm just suggesting it as a diagnostic to try to
pinpoint what may be the source of the problem.

--
Larry