On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Richard Ivarson wrote: > Hello, > > I use Rsync successully to sync, for example, a NTFS formatted WinXP PC > (where Cygwin's Rsync runs) with a Linux PC, and to sync the Win-PC with > a GByte USB memory stick. > > When the memory stick is formatted to NTFS all works fine (exact command see > below please). > But since I formatted the memory stick to FAT32 because it's more usuable on > Linux PCs, suddenly the very same Rsync command shows different results! It > copies many files from the Win-PC to the USB stick which already are up to > date... > I couldn't figure out what these files have in common... or why Rsync would > get wrong information from the FAT32 filesystem... > > In the end I tried the Rsync parameter "--checksum" which solved the > problem, > but slows down the whole thing a lot. > Then I found the "--update" parameter which does the trick, too. OK, so it > prints many directories which "--checksum" did not print, but ... it's > rather > optical. > > The command is : > * rsync --delete --update --relative --recursive --times --progress > Sourcefolder/ /cygdrive/u/Destinationfolder > > Using parameters like "--owner" or "-permission" didn't help. > > Does anybody know what is the problem with FAT32 (and Rsync using it) ? > Thanks. FAT32 only has 2 second file modification time granularity. You need to pass the --modify-window option to rsync. Chris -- Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/