List:       curl-users
Subject:    Re: Problem with simple GET command
From:       "Daniel Stenberg" <Daniel.Stenberg () haxx ! se>
Date:       1999-11-15 23:22:37

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Simon Luttrell wrote:

> http://research.etrade.co.uk/offsite/esifinder/esi_finder.cgi?share=PIC&choi
> ce=Quick+Quote
>
> - where I have inserted the ticker symbol 'PIC' for a specific share.
>
> If I use this url in the browser command line then I get the correct web
> page returned.

I'll tell you why, it says:

HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
Server: Netscape-Enterprise/3.6
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 23:03:57 GMT
Location: http://research.etrade.co.uk/offsite/qq.cgi/PIC
Connection: close

The Location: line is the clue.

So, if we wanna get the actual content we add -L and run it again, and then
we get a lot of content, and it gets redirected to

http://research.etrade.co.uk/offsite/qq.cgi/PIC

> -A 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows 95)' MSIE for W95
> http://research.etrade.co.uk/offsite/esifinder/esi_finder.cgi?share=PIC&choi
> ce=Quick+Quote
>
> where I have also specified a referrer to keep the server happy.
>
> But it's not happy! and I'm not sure why.  Is the way I specify
> 'Quick+Quote' correct (for where the html code is "Quick Quote")

Yes it is. Although you should probably not use the '-letters in the agent
string. They aren't needed when the string is read from a config file.

> Or is it because this url has no 'www' component??

Nope. That doesn't change anything.

--
            Daniel Stenberg -- http://www.haxx.se