List:       curl-library
Subject:    =?iso-8859-2?Q?R=E9f=2E_=3A_Re=3A_Problem_with_gethostbyname=5Fr_and?=https
From:       Gilles Talbot <gilles.talbot () creditlyonnais ! fr>
Date:       2001-12-19 13:44:54

Thank you Daniel.
We are going to change our platforms soon. I think we'll choose Solaris.
After the migration, i'll let you know if the problem still happens.

Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se> le 19/12/2001 14:40:28

Pour : Gilles Talbot/DED/DSTI/CLY@CLY

Objet :     Re: Problem with gethostbyname_r and https

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Gilles Talbot wrote:

>    I use libcurl 7.9, on HP-UX 10.20.

First, try upgrading to the latest and greatest. I don't think that'll fix
your problems, but then again, you never know for sure!

>    My application  sends request to a http/https server.
>    There is a thread created to send each request
>    My application is supposed to send several requests at the same time.
>    It works pretty good when i use http
>    BUT : when i use https, most of the requests are OK, but sometimes, i
>    have the following error : couldn't resolve host xxxxx
>    with the CURLOPT_VERBOSE option, i saw that it is a problem on
>    gethostbyname_r
>    I tried making several requests in a single thread, and the problem
does
>    not occur.
>    i've checked my compilation options, they look compatible with
>    multi-thread

As has been said before: this is likely to be a problem with how threads
work
on your particular platform. Other platforms have also shown problems
similar
to this in the past, all with various forms of (non-working) thread
implementations.

libcurl is being used in multi-threaded programs by many people, which
leads
me to believe that it is fairly multi-thread safe. If you can repeat your
problems on one of the platforms known to be stable systems
multi-thread-wise
(Solaris, Linux and Windows all seem good), then I'll start considering
this
a real issue. Until then, I can't but to think that this is a peculiar
issue
with threads under HPUX 10. I'm sorry.

Ce message contient des informations confidentielles ou appartenant au
Cr=e9dit Lyonnais et est =e9tabli =e0 l'intention exclusive de ses
destinataires. Toute divulgation, utilisation, diffusion ou reproduction
(totale ou partielle) de ce message, ou des informations qu'il contient,
doit =eatre pr=e9alablement autoris=e9e. Tout message =e9lectronique est
susceptible d'alt=e9ration et son int=e9grit=e9 ne peut =eatre assur=e9e.
Le Cr=e9dit Lyonnais d=e9cline toute responsabilit=e9 au titre de ce
message s'il a =e9t=e9 modifi=e9 ou falsifi=e9. Si vous n'=eates pas
destinataire de ce message, merci de le d=e9truire imm=e9diatement et
d'avertir l'exp=e9diteur de l'erreur de distribution et de la destruction
du message.

This e-mail contains confidential information or information belonging
to Cr=e9dit Lyonnais and is intended solely for the addressees.
The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either whole
or partial) of this e-mail, or any information it contains, is prohibited.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration and their integrity cannot be guaranteed.
Cr=e9dit Lyonnais shall not be liable for this e-mail if modified or falsified.
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please delete it
immediately from your system and notify the sender of the wrong delivery
and the mail deletion.