List:       curl-library
Subject:    Re: libcurl.so, easy interface please :)
From:       Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg () haxx ! nu>
Date:       2000-04-24 15:00:02

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, JAmes Atwill wrote:

> First off, why is libcurl built as a static library?

There's no good reason at all.

I've always had higher goals for libcurl than it is in its current state, so
it kind of just happened to become like this.

libcurl should of course be dynamic for the platforms that support such
libraries and that should be done using libtool. That's one of the things I'd
appriciate some help with getting fixed.

> Secondly, when revamping libcurl, please please please have a
> brain-dead-simple-easy-to-use interface.  It's fine to have a more
> customizable one, but I would much rather have a
>
> 	int fd;
>
> 	fd=curl_open("ftp://freshmeat.net/pub/filename",CURL_DEFAULTS);
>
> That let me use read/write/select and make some general assumptions on
> what I want (binary mode, etc).  I'd much rather use alarm() to escape
> out of a curl_open request than have to pass it timeout information.

I want to. The newly designed interface I've written some specs around and
that I'm trying to set is the lowest level library level. I plan to make it
several layers so that you will be satisfied (with a simple function
interface) as well as the persons who need to read and write to several
different URL simultaenously while reading and writing 22 other file
descriptors.

The highest level will look similar to the one existing today.

> Same with "http://somewhere.com/", etc.  I've tried to make heads or
> tails of w3c-libww but it's a nightmare of complexity.

I don't want to make another w3c-libww. It wouldn't be any point.

--
   Daniel Stenberg - http://www.contactor.se/~dast - +46-705-44 31 77