List:       cups
Subject:    Re: [cups.general] What sets FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE? - need	clarification on cupsFilter2 keyword in PPD
From:       Michael Sweet <msweet () apple ! com>
Date:       2012-05-31 3:28:12

Paul,

On May 30, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Paul Conklin wrote:
> if i regress back to 1.5.3, it bypasses the "coffee" filter all together and \
> converts it to vnd.cups-postscript.
> so either it actually came about in 1.6 and I am still doing something wrong or 1.5 \
> and 1.6 treat it differntly as the only change i did between tests is re-compiled
> 1.5.3
> [root@CUPS cups-1.5.3]# echo "make me some coffee" | lp -dmytest
> request id is mytest-13 (0 file(s))

cupsFilter2 is new in CUPS 1.5; I am not aware of any issues with the current \
implementation and we use it widely for new printers.

Something to remember - the presence of cupsFilter2 lines disables all cupsFilter \
lines - this was done on purpose to allow a driver to support both the old and new \
way of specifying filters without interference. The new way allows things like the \
IPP backend to know the correct MIME media type for the printer-ready data...