List:       cups
Subject:    Re: [cups.general] Disable
From:       Michael Sweet <msweet () apple ! com>
Date:       2011-01-25 19:16:48

On Jan 21, 2011, at 9:37 AM, Sue Toeppler wrote:
> We are converting from an NCR server running Unix to a Linux server.  CUPS has been \
> installed on the Linux server.  We have 3 Genicom printers connected serially to \
> our network (Digi Portserver).  We use the disable command when we need to print on \
> special forms.  We issue the command 'disable -W printername' and if anything is \
> printing, it finishes and then spooled reports just wait in the queue.  We change \
> the paper, run the appropriate job to print on the special form, and when finished, \
> load green-bar and enable the printer.  Whatever is in the queue, then prints.
> I can't get this to work with CUPS and Linux.  There is no '-W' option in the \
> disable although it appears what is printing does finish.  But it leaves the print \
> request in the queue (lpstat).  When the printer is enabled (cupsenable), that \
> request prints again.

Please file a feature request here:

    http://www.cups.org/str.php

In short, cupsd does offer the necessary functionality in current releases but does \
not expose it via the cupsdisable command.

> Also, with the interface I've defined for the printer, it is supposed to do a \
> form-feed when it's finished printing.  When it's been disabled while something is \
> printing, this does not happen.  So it seems as though the disable has taken \
> precedence over what normally happens at the end of a print session (do the form \
> feed as directed by the interface and delete it from the queue).

Raw printing does not give you any processing of the print file.  If you use an \
interface script, it is your responsibility to catch/trap SIGTERM and send the form \
feed yourself in the script since CUPS does not know anything about the printer's \
native language/format...