List:       cups
Subject:    Re: [cups.general] CUPS problme on Ubuntu lucid
From:       Helge Blischke <h.blischke () acm ! org>
Date:       2010-08-31 9:31:59

richardmalter wrote:

> It seems that after a recent ubuntu normal weekly set of updates (1 week
> or so ago) I cannot print from Scribus or any PDF file. I get errors like
> 'cant read xref table' etc. The Scribus folks checked the PDF generated by
> Scribus and it worked fine on another machine, so it is my system (CUPS).
> Even a PDF generated from open office has the same problem. The debugger
> doesn't seem to help me.
>
> Any ideas please? thank you.
>
> Richard

It is probably due to Ubuntu's configuration of cups, wich deviates from the
standard cups in that it tries to establish a pdf centric workflow.

I had similar problems with the Ubuntu based Peppermint One and solved it
by reactivating the original PostScript centric workflow.

Please post the files under /usr/share/cups/mime (I suppose your system
already uses cups 1.4.x, otherwise the files *.types and *.convs from
/etc/cups), so that I could provide you with workarounds.

Helge