List:       cups
Subject:    Re: [cups.general] Printing accented characters not working
From:       Michael Sweet <mike () easysw ! com>
Date:       2008-01-26 6:01:23

Kevin Pickell wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm in the process of converting an C++ open source app from windows to linux. I am \
> generating a postscript file and then printing it using cups. I have it working for \
> images and lines and regular text just fine, except that accented characters are \
> not printing correctly, instead of the accented characters I am getting a circle \
> with a line through it. My code uses the Arial font and I am printing it to a HP \
> Laserjet 3700. I would like to track down why and I thought that it would be \
> quicker to ask here. :-)
> Could it be that the "true type" Arial font that I am using for the screen is \
> different than the one in the printer? And if so is there a way that I can wrap the \
> font up and include it directly into the postscript file? Or could it be some sort \
> of text encoding issue?

Almost certainly, but you also need to define a character map for
the font (for basic 8-bit printing) or a CID map and use 16-bit
Unicode characters.

That said, if you don't know PostScript I would recommend using a
library to generate it for you - Cairo is a commonly-available low-
level graphics library, KDE and GNOME provide printing support, and
there are at least a dozen PDF generation libraries and utilities
you can use as well.