List:       cryptography-randombit
Subject:    Re: [cryptography] USG moves to vacate hearing tomorrow due to possible method to unlock iPhone
From:       "John Levine" <johnl () iecc ! com>
Date:       2016-03-22 1:14:03

>>(But who is the outside party?  A lone wolf?  The NSA?  Other?)

>Would Apple be the outside party? As in its offshore stashing of
>foreign revenue as foreign entity?

No, Apple is Apple.  My guess is that one of the many people who've
been saying you can image and reload the phone's memory card finally
got the attention of someone in the litigation juggernaut.  Note that
this is consistent with the Brooklyn decision in which the judge said
the FBI had told him in other cases that they could unlock a 5C.

It's hard to tell whether it also means that they were worried that the
wind was blowing the wrong way and they'd rather have no decision
than an unfavorable one.

R's,
John