List:       cryptography-randombit
Subject:    [cryptography] server-signed client certs (Re: SSL is not
From:       thierry.moreau () connotech ! com (Thierry Moreau)
Date:       2011-09-26 17:05:33

ianG wrote:
> On 26/09/11 16:49 PM, Adam Back wrote:
>> What about introducing the concept of server signed client certs.  A
>> server
>> could recognize its own server key pair signature on the client cert,
>> even
>> though the server cert is not a proper CA cert.
>
> Hmmm... interesting idea!

The term I used for this concept is "first party certification".

> Typically, the server application will store the entire cert in its db
> as account info.  So analysing the signature as own-CA would save that
> database lookup.  This might make sense if we are relying on say Apache
> to do all the processing, because it is automatable, and Apache doesn't
> have much in the way of database processing capabilities.

Apache allows a PHP application to retrieve the whole X.509 certificate
used by the client. In the proof-of-concept validation I made, I
extracted the client public RSA modulus and that was (almost) it about
client authentication (SSL done by the apache module). By "almost", I
mean the database management workload amounts to the mapping
RSA_modulus<==>account.

Thus the client need not even a certificate signed by a "own-CA", any
certificate would do (certificate used only because mainstream SSL does
not support bare public keys).

To fully appreciate the potential of these ideas require to go back to
the essential properties of digital signatures, and get rid of PKI trust
model almost completely.

("Details available on request" ... but no spare time to provide them on
the foreseeable future.)

> Although typically, I would suggest that Apache should be put in
> pass-thru mode and let the application do *all* the login processing.
> By this I mean, analyse the crypto results from the certs, and put it
> all in the PHP variables.  Never ever drop the connections on its own
> decisions, in my experience, letting Apache make security decisions like
> that always results in lousy user performance, which reduces overall
> security (user does it another way).
>
> (It's an interesting idea ... )

Yes, but ...

you need to switch clients to using (a more or less degenerate form of)
client certificates, which historically has failed,

and maybe more subtly, you start giving end-users something for their
own security which is not branded by the service operator: ultimately it
is the client private key protection that counts, and once the user
mental model is well understood, there is no barrier for the client to
move to another service operator without any loss in security.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see this usage of client key pairs.
The above are my understanding of the objections when trying to put
forward this concept.

>> Then the password request
>> on the client goes to the browser/os key store.  So long as you had CA
>> pinning that would help the phishing situation.
>
> Yes.

Yes.

>> Of course there is still the UI problem to somehow have the user
>> detect the
>> difference between the key store password dialog and a fake dialog put
>> up by
>> a hostile web page.  There are some things that can help like user
>> cutomized
>> dialogs where the hostile site cant know the customization.
>
> Right.

Hey, don't forget that the enemy needs the
encrypted-client-private-key-file. The hostile web page needs a Trojan
to get it. This raises the bar.

--
- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.