List:       cryptography
Subject:    Re: Stego patent
From:       pgut001 () cs ! auckland ! ac ! nz (Peter Gutmann)
Date:       1999-06-25 5:03:15

"P.J. Ponder" <ponder@freenet.tlh.fl.us> writes:

>http://www.eet.com/story/OEG19990622S0026
>
>Algorithm hides data inside unaltered images
>By R. Colin Johnson
>EE Times
>(06/22/99, 4:29 p.m. EDT)
>
>ORONO, Maine  Information can be hidden inside images without altering their
>appearance, according to University of Maine professor Rick Eason.  In a
>patented algorithm he developed with Eiji Kawaguchi, a professor at the
>Kyushu Institute of Technology, Eason shows how to embed secret data messages
>within the "extra" bits of a normal bit-mapped image, which can be decoded
>with special software.

This may be "patent pending" rather than patented, I can't find a patent with
either of those two listed as authors.  There are 17 stego patents, but most
seem to be for watermarking (and assigned to Digimarc Corporation) rather than
security applications.

Peter (who's wondering how blindingly obvious their technique will be).