List:       cryptography
Subject:    Re: NSA's economic interest in European GAK
From:       "James A. Donald" <jamesd () echeque ! com>
Date:       1999-05-18 20:57:16

At 01:21 PM 5/18/99 -0400, K. M. Ellis wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/techweb/TW_Report_U_S_Uses_Key_Escrow_To_Steal_Secret
s.html

          "The U.S. government misled states in the EU and
          [Organization for Economic Cooperation and
          Development] about the true intention of its
          policy," the report adds.

I do not think the US government misled the EU about the true
purpose of GAK.   I am sure they sincerely intended only to
spy on people like me.

Similarly I sincerely intend to adhere to a strict diet and
to exercise regularly.

As we all predicted, if the government has access to keys, it
will be incapable of restraining itself to lawful uses of
that information, and  lo and behold, the government was
incapable of restraining itself to lawful uses of that
information.

Surprise surprise.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     N26BHKwW6ZXehuboX5bN6U35s5udc0Gy9aO55A+3
     4/2s1xujih4w+ybmqAanOCUg3Qg9r3jZbbDBR0BfX