List:       cryptography
Subject:    Re: Status of Fortezza and/or Smart Card Encryption Technology
From:       "Arnold G. Reinhold" <reinhold () world ! std ! com>
Date:       1999-03-28 5:26:01

At 5:28 PM -0500 3/26/99, Steve McGee wrote:
>http://www.jya.com/fort-cancel.htm
>
>This URL is somewhat contradictory to what is written below.

The URL you cite is NSA's cancellation of Fortezza 2.0 in August 1997. NSA
explains fairly clearly in the document that Fortezza 2.0 was to have been
an overarching security architecture that they hoped would be widely
adopted, and why they chose to abandon that effort. There is no suggestion
that NSA is abandoning the existing Fortezza program.

I can't see any contradiction, unless perhaps you are confusing Fortezza
2.0 and Fortezza Plus.  The latter is apparently the classic Fortezza card
with the addition of "Type 1" algorithms (i.e. the good stuff) and works
with existing Fortezza applications. (If I recall correctly, there there
were some minor modifications to support longer keys etc.)

Arnold Reinhold