List:       cryptography
Subject:    crypto-stego
From:       Russell Nelson <nelson () crynwr ! com>
Date:       1998-12-30 21:42:44

Now here's a silly question: cryptanalysis requires that one be able
to recognize the plaintext.  Steganography requires that one NOT be
able to recognize the cryptography from random noise.  So, if I use a
legal cryptography algorithm (with however few bits I'm allowed), on
the output of an illegal stego program, all of those bits are pure
pleasure.  Even someone with my legal public key can't be sure that
they've decrypted the right thing unless my stego is broken or they
have my	illegal public key.

Cryptography restrictions are the USA's Maginot Line.  Big, expensive,
ultimately routed around regardless, and once the war is over,
difficult to get rid of.