List:       cryptography
Subject:    US House Commerce Comm. Press Release
From:       "P. J. Ponder" <ponder () freenet ! tlh ! fl ! us>
Date:       1998-12-28 14:10:53

Excerpt from a US House Commerce Committee press release.  The full text
can be found at:

http://www.house.gov/commerce/releases/pr122198.htm

Talks about easing export controls on strong encryption, and there is
mention of creating a 'technologically neutral' national standard for
electronic authorization, seeing as how several states have adopted
dissimilar laws.

House Committee on Commerce
News Release

For Immediate Release
Contact: David Fish
December 21, 1998 (202) 225-5735

Chairman Bliley Announces House Commerce Committee Agenda

WASHINGTON, D.C.
 The chairman of the House Commerce Committee, Representative Tom Bliley
(R-VA), announced the highlights of his committee

<. . . .>

"Moving to the exciting world of the INTERNET, the Committee will take
steps, including the passage of legislation, to further open up Electronic
Commerce, the new marketplace of the 21st Century.

"First and foremost, the committee will continue to be a bulwark against
over-regulation and taxation of the INTERNET. I will not allow the
INTERNET to become a cash cow or plaything of the IRS and federal
bureaucrats.

"We also need a technologically neutral nationwide standard for electronic
authentication. This is the so-called electronic signature that allows
people to do business on line.

"Add to that an easing of restrictions on the export of strong encryption
products. This is the technology that allows people to conduct safe and
secure transactions on-line by helping to prevent invasions of privacy and
security.

"I am working with the industry to develop an enforceable and
self-regulating system to protect privacy on-line. People will not do
business on line if their finances, medical histories or other personal
information can be accessed by strangers.

<. . . .>

-30-

News Home

The House Committee on Commerce