List:       cryptography
Subject:    Re: [Cryptography] Intel Management Engine pwnd
From:       Nemo <nemo () self-evident ! org>
Date:       2017-11-30 17:52:30

"James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com> writes:

> If I install a network interface controller purchased from Ebay, would
> that leave the Intel Management Engine high and dry?.

Not necessarily...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management_Component_Transport_Protocol

MCTP is the universal back door. If someone controls your management
engine, they also control any NIC whose "feature" set includes MCTP.

This has received far less attention than it deserves, in my humble
opinion.

 - Nemo