List:       cryptography
Subject:    Re: [Cryptography] Juniper & Dual_EC_DRBG: Why Now?
From:       Henry Baker <hbaker1 () pipeline ! com>
Date:       2015-12-24 0:25:42

At 08:05 AM 12/22/2015, Henry Baker wrote:
I'm seeing hands in cookie jars... Also,

> The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons...
>
> 'The U.S. officials said they are certain U.S. spy agencies themselves aren't \
> behind the back door'
> '... because of the sophistication involved'  ;-)
>
> http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/18/politics/juniper-networks-us-government-security-hack/index.html
>
> Newly discovered hack has U.S. fearing foreign infiltration

OK, I've tried to read all the reports & blogs about this to get some sense of what's \
happening here.

The best question of all: "why NOW?"

This dog has been sleeping for years; what woke him up?

My best guess: politics.  Due to the looming possibility of Congress *requiring* back \
doors, someone at the NSA finally woke up & realized that backdoors for Comey & Vance \
would put the US more at risk than any possible advantage in intelligence.  Another \
OPM caused by such a backdoor would get someone high up in the NSA fired -- even if \
it needed to happen in private.

In fact, just recently, a number of retired intel folks have said as much, but \
Congress & the Chicken Little prez candidates hasn't been listening.

(It also helps that the open crypto & security communities were fast closing in on \
this EC B.S.; make lemonade out of lemons by preemptively being the "good guy" here.)

So, whether NSA put the back door into Juniper or not, the NSA *knew about its \
existence* -- possibly by monitoring whomever else *did* know about it -- and so the \
NSA could easily cause this bug to get disclosed & hence fixed.

The NSA could always claim that the "just now found out about it", and was acting \
like the good guy by getting it fixed.  It never has to acknowledge that it may have \
been using this vuln itself for years.