List:       cryptography
Subject:    Airline Security's False Hope?
From:       "R. A. Hettinga" <rah () shipwright ! com>
Date:       2003-07-28 12:47:20

<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/print_version/wo_barnett072803.asp>

Technology Review

Airline Security's False Hope?
An expert on aviation safety statistics says a new computer system to screen out \
terrorists may actually make things easier for them.

By Arnold Barnett
July 28, 2003
The latest incarnation of security screening for our airports has many friends in \
high places. U.S. secretary of transportation Norman Mineta described it as "the \
foundation of aviation security." The Transportation Security Administration has \
called the system-known as CAPPS II, meaning the second version of the \
Computer-Assisted Passenger Prescreening System-the most important single program on \
the agency's agenda. Such votes of confidence, however, intensify my fear that this \
new system-scheduled for deployment in 2004-will do us more harm than good.

Like the CAPPS I system now in place, CAPPS II would sort passengers into two main \
groups: higher-risk "selectees" who get intense airport screening, and lower-risk \
non-selectees who are screened less. What differentiates CAPPS II from its \
predecessor is that it would use personal and demographic data in choosing the \
selectees. The system would interpret this information using techniques such as data \
mining-a fast trial-and-error search for patterns and correlations.

Having studied aviation safety and security for a quarter-century, particularly from \
the standpoint of statistical analysis, I have followed CAPPS II developments \
closely. This scrutiny leaves me with several misgivings.

The data-mining technology at the heart of the system works best when patterns in \
existing data can be expected to persist into the future. CAPPS II thus seeks to \
exploit commonalities among past terrorists as a means of identifying future ones. \
The limits of this approach, however, were indicated in the 2002 Washington sniper \
crisis, when experts who "mined" data about previous serial killers believed strongly \
that the perpetrators were white.

The value of the screening system depends largely on the assumption that potential \
terrorists could not understand the selection process well enough to outwit it. But \
someone wishing to beat the system need not know the exact formula; all he or she \
needs to determine is the likelihood of being personally targeted for high scrutiny. \
This can be accomplished very simply with trial runs at the airport: a would-be \
terrorist who breezes through check-in several times without being designated a \
selectee could reasonably expect that the same will happen the next time he or she \
arrives-with deadly weapons.

Stung by accusations that CAPPS II would entail ethnic and political profiling and \
violate personal privacy, the Transportation Security Administration has gone into \
retreat mode. Recent press reports have suggested that CAPPS II will attach no \
significance to a bad credit record, that passengers will have the right to appeal \
their "selectee" status, and that-astoundingly-CAPPS II might not even apply at all \
to U.S. citizens. Such concessions could enormously degrade the system's predictive \
accuracy.

Still, CAPPS II could yield some security improvement over CAPPS I-as long as two \
conditions are met. The first is that CAPPS II designates the same percentage of \
passengers selectees as CAPPS I: that should ensure that the number of actual \
terrorists caught in the net goes up. The second condition is that security \
processing does not slacken under CAPPS II-for either selectees or non-selectees.

Alas, the evidence suggests that neither of these conditions will be met. The \
Transportation Security Administration says travelers "may well notice" that fewer \
passengers are designated selectees under CAPPS II, and has described non-selectees \
under the system as people who "clearly pose no threat of terrorism." In other words, \
the agency envisions that CAPPS II will select fewer people but nab practically all \
terrorists. But I see no reason that, if the overall selection rate declines from, \
say, 5 percent to 2 percent, the selection rate among terrorists will rise: the new \
system probably isn't that much better than CAPPS I. If security processing for \
non-selectees becomes less demanding (and after all, what sort of screening is needed \
for people who "pose no threat of terrorism?"), then a terrorist erroneously assigned \
to the low-risk group could have a greater chance of success under the new system \
than under the existing one.

Used wisely, CAPPS II could be a moderately helpful weapon in the antiterrorist \
arsenal. Unaccountably, however, many security planners see CAPPS II as the \
preeminent weapon, and their excess confidence in the system suggests that its \
forecasts will get more weight than is prudent. This supposed foundation of security \
could therefore pose a new security threat to U.S. air travelers.

This article originally appeared in the MIT Technology Insider , a monthly newsletter \
covering MIT research and commercial spinoff activity.

Arnold Barnett is George Eastman Professor of Management Science at MIT's Sloan \
School of Management.

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: rah@ibuc.com>