List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Registration for Crux bug tracker / Issue 1857: Lilo usage
From:       Markus Heinz <markus.heinz () uni-dortmund ! de>
Date:       2022-01-10 21:48:46

Am 10.01.2022 21:33, schrieb tbier@posteo.de:
> On 10.01.2022 21:28, Erich Eckner wrote:
>> Maybe it would work to update the grub.cfg from crux?
>>

> I was going to say the same thing there.
>
>>> With the setup I have now (grub chainloading lilo) I just run lilo
>>> on Crux and reboot directly into Crux again. So I do not need to
>>> boot Ubuntu meanwhile for updating the boot loader.
>>
>> Maybe grub allows for having include files (I have not checked), then
>> you could have two include files: one for crux and one for ubuntu -
>> and just update the one of the currently-running system.
>>

> That should certainly work as well with grub.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I have now
appended these lines to /etc/grub.d/40_custom (on Ubuntu) which will be
assembled to grub.cfg:

menuentry "Crux Linux (no LILO)" {
         set root=(hd0,3)
         linux /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda3 init=/sbin/init
         initrd /boot/early-ucode.cpio
}

Like this I can boot Crux from the Ubuntu grub as long as I name
the kernel file always the same.

It evens boots much faster than with Lilo in between :-) Lilo took
several seconds to load the kernel into RAM whereas with grub it
nearly starts to boot the kernel immediately.

Best regards

Markus Heinz