List:       crux
Subject:    Re: WLAN configuration
From:       Bernd Eggink <monoped () sudrala ! de>
Date:       2016-11-02 18:01:01

Am 01.11.2016 um 21:07 schrieb Daryl F:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2016, Bernd Eggink wrote:
>
>> it's a bit embarrassing, but I have troubles connecting to a _free_
>> Wlan AP. I mean the type where you first have to enter an arbitrary
>> address in the browser, and then get redirected to a server page which
>> asks you for a password. With the standard Crux configuation this
>> doesn't work.
>
> I've never encountered one where there was a URL provided. What I've
> been provided is the SSID of their wireless network. If that is the case
> then I do the following.
>
> What is important is to let the facility set your IP address and the
> address for the DNS in /etc/resolv.conf. This is so when you use your
> browser to go _any_ URL it will redirect it to the providers page where
> you use the authentication provided by the hotel, if any.
>
> For me the tricky part is the SSID of the facility. The front desk
> usually provides it but they often mispell it. Then, as root, I use
>   ip link set wlan1 up
>   iwlist wlan0 scan
>
> to find the correct spelling in the ESSID output. I then put the correct
> SSID in the wpa.conf and start wpa_supplicant. If they only use WEP
> (unsecured) I use a wpa.conf like:
>
> ap_scan=1
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> network={
>        scan_ssid=1
>        ssid="Super8 Drumheller"
>        key_mgmt=NONE
>
> }
>

> Then I use
>   /sbin/dhcpcd -4 wlan0
> to get their IP for my laptop and it automatically sets /etc/resolv.conf
> and the router gateway needed.
>
> After that I fire up my web browser and try to go to google.com. It gets
> intercepted by the facility and I end up at their login page. I enter
> the provided credentials. After that their DNS servers will correctly
> resolve google.com
>
> If they should have WPA2 (secured) I use a wpa.conf like:
> ap_scan=1
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> network={
>        scan_ssid=1
>        proto=WPA RSN
>        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>        pairwise=CCMP TKIP
>        group=CCMP TKIP
>         ssid="Astoria Hotel Dickinson"
>         psk="<key the desk gave me>"
> }
>
> Good luck!

Daryl,
your example was very helpful, thanks a lot! I got it working quickly.
The only thing I had to change was "iwlist wlan0 scan", which doesn't
work on my system. I use "iw dev wlp2s0 scan" instead.

IMHO your example should go into the manual, or (commented out) into
/etc/rc.d/net.

Thanks again,
Bernd