List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Bug in udev rules? [Crux on RAID/LVM (bootloader)]
From:       Michal Soltys <soltys () ziu ! info>
Date:       2010-10-26 21:45:28

On 10-10-26 14:11, Wawrzyniec NiewodniczaƄski wrote:
> On 26 October 2010 10:11, Danny Rawlins<d.rawlins@datafast.net.au>  wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> Hello,
>
>>  Why do you use partitioned raid?
>>
> Because I can ;). There is no special reason.
>
>>  you should use metadata version 0.90 for the raid 1 metadata location,
>>  it is the only one that lilo and grub supports.
>>

> I'm using metadata 0.90 currently so it's not a problem. I guess there
> is a bug in CRUX in device naming/numbering convention as was
> described in previous post.

Although I'm starting peeking into crux recently, its udev rules are
pretty much standard (besides 2 small outdated files installed, but they
have no md related rules whatsoever). mdadm's behaviour is either to
rely on udev (if it's running) or rely on pre-3.0 behaviour (if udev is
not running) - in latter case creating the necessary nodes and symlinks
itself (and names and major/minor numbers might get unusual, depening on
things...). Also, 3.x mdadm ships with stock udev rules file itself, and
crux port doesn't mess with it in any way or form..

Btw, with some simple dd/degrade/readd tricks, you don't need bootloader
understanding raid1 (for its boot stuff, so usually tiny partition at
the beginning), as long as its metadata is kept at the end (so either
0.9 or 1.0). With [imho far superior] bootmanager like syslinux it's
even simpler (no need to look after stuff like stage1_5).