List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Server Migration documentation rsync update
From:       Johannes Winkelmann <jw () smts ! ch>
Date:       2006-08-30 21:13:00

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 13:02:42 +0200, Clemens Koller wrote:
> Hi, Johannes!
>
> >Well, I was just thinking about the master. If you run triggered
> >updates, you only have to check those ports which actually changed. If
> >you do it in an interval, you end up checking all ports (well, pkgmk -do
> >for a downloaded port isn't expensive but still). IOW, if there's no change
> >in three days, you have no additional load, while at the same time you
> >get almost instant updates when a change actually happens.
> >
> >In an interval setup, you have to wait $interval (worst case), and
> >unnecessary load every $interval if nothing changed.
>
> Okay, understood that. I don't have the experience what's happening
> at crux.nu in detail (would be interesting).
crux.nu hosts the website, subversion for port and tool development and
rsync and httpup access to ports. In addition, the mailing lists and bug
tracking are on this machine.

No ISO's are hosted there, and it doesn't provide binary packages nor
distfiles.

> [...]
> >For a particular mail alias, push incoming mail through a script; in
> >this script, extract the svn path. Subscribe to crux-commits with this
> >e-mail address.
> >
> >We can provide a separate mailing list with an easier to parse format if
> >that's needed.
>
> Okay, that's a different approach. I was focused on some
> filesystem-level mirroring + pulled distfiles as a backup server.
I think we're talking about different things here. The thread was about
establishing a distfile _master_ server. FS level mirroring would be for
distfile slaves.

> >>Well, what's crux.nu's Size at Kalmar NDC AB?
> >>What traffic do you have there?
> >
> >Well, we don't host any distfiles there, so those numbers wouldn't have
> >any meaning in this context.
>
> Jep, but if you multiply the average number of pulled packages/time
> times the average used package size we have at least some rough
> numbers to start with.
Not quite sure what you mean with "pulled packages" here. Remember CRUX
is a source based distribution, so packages are build on the end user's
machines, not pulled from crux.nu...

Rest assured that if we had a way to calculate the estimated traffic, we
would have told you in the very first mail covering this subject.

Regards, Johannes
--
Johannes Winkelmann              mailto:jw@smts.ch
Zurich, Switzerland              http://jw.smts.ch