List:       crux
Subject:    Question on Pre/Post Install Scripts
From:       Jay Dolan <jasonthomasdolan () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-09-22 13:11:04

Hi fellas,

Regarding pre/post install scripts:  Is there a policy
in place so that packagers write these to be safely
re-run when updating a package?  In other words, is it
always safe to `prt-get update someport
--install-scripts`?  I mentioned this question on the
IRC channel and Han responded that he believes the
scripts are safely re-run, or at least that they
should be.  I tend to agree, but if you do not - I
would greatly appreciate your input.

I'm adding pre/post install script support to
pkgsync[1] so that syncing packages like Gnome will be
possible.  I have the ability to only run scripts on
the initial install of a package, or on any
install/upgrade.  Comments are welcome.

[1] http://jaydolan.com/pkgsync.html

Thanks,

=====