List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Install CRUX 2.0
From:       Clare Johnstone <clare () cyllene ! uwa ! edu ! au>
Date:       2004-05-30 21:20:47

On Sun, 30 May 2004, Peter Oldin wrote:

> Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 22:21:56 +0200
> From: Peter Oldin <peter.oldin@stockholm.bonet.se>
> To: crux@fukt.bth.se
> Subject: Install CRUX 2.0
>
> Hi.
>
> Im trying to install Crux v2.0 on my Pentium MMX. I've downloaded the CRUX version \
> for the i586 arch. I have followed this guide \
> http://www.pellesoft.se/area/articles/article.aspx?artid=642 (Swedish LANG). The \
> problem is when all configuration is done and I try to start the system for the \
> first time. The message I get from the console is a buch of rows saying \
> 0909090909090...............and so on and the system finally freez. Is this \
> something you have encounter before or do I have to go in again and "make \
> menuconfig" again? The problem with this approach is that both "make bzImage" and \
> "make modules" take approx two hours until its done :-( meening that I rather not \
> doing it again untill Im sure of whats wrong. I've been checking all files that \
> should be configured and they all seems to be allright.
> Please let me know if Im to general here and tell me what else you need to know for \
> helping me. I just want to say that Im pretty new at Linux systems (about two years \
> of experiance) and I just wanna tell you all that Im open for any help or \
> suggestions.And do remember that this is my first post to this mailinglist \
> so........please not break me ;-)
> cheers
> Peter

Hi Peter,
I usually put the vmlinuz from the CRUX CD into
/boot. I do it before attempting to compile any kernel and get
the machine up and running. Do the kernel next day ( yes it takes
forever.)
I usually do it by opening a second console before that chroot bit, so
that I have access to the CD from there. Look at /boot, copy the file to
/mnt/boot. Write the lilo.conf to use it. I am able to change from
the chrooted to not-chrooted as often as I like.
best wishes,
clare