List:       crux
Subject:    Re: post update problems
From:       Per Liden <per () fukt ! bth ! se>
Date:       2003-10-27 12:51:07

Hi,

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Doan Vu wrote:

[...]
> So my questions are this:
> a) I fear to question the great Per, but why don't the Pkgfiles in base and
> opt have dependency descriptions? I ask because in the drama of (2) above, I
> found out pango needs glib so I thought Dia messed up because I upgraded
> pango before glib (but that didn't make a difference).

The "Depends on:" convention is a CLC addition and is not (strictly
speaking) part of a vanilla CRUX installation.

> b) When you upgrade something, are you supposed to recompile all the things
> that depend on it?
[...]

No, you are not supposed to recompile all the things that depend on it.
The updates I make to base and opt are always binary compatible, with two
exceptions:

1) Breaking binary compatibility is "ok" if there's no other way to
   close a security hole.

2) I make a mistake when updating a port, unintentionally introducing
   binary incompatible changes (It has happened, but I do my best to avoid
   it).

The policy is that binary incompatible changes are only introduced when a
new CRUX release is made. I.e. updates in the STABLE-1_2 ports tree aim
to always be compatible with the 1.2 ISO release. However, the 1.3 ISO
release is not guaranteed to be compatible with any older release.

/Per