List:       crux
Subject:    Re: Possible to add a 'skel' dir to /etc?
From:       Robert McMeekin <viper () mcmeekin ! info>
Date:       2002-11-30 5:46:04

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> Unnecessary and *empty* are words spoken to soon Markus.
> I wonder why people wouldn't want to use such a feature if its there.

I don't know about anyone else, but one of the reasons I like CRUX so much
is because it doesn't have things like /etc/skel. If you're going to use
it on a computer that will have so many users, you can just add your skel.
And you only have to do it once, because you're making backups often and
protecting your user's data. If, on the other hand, you're not going to
have so many users, you really don't need it. I hate to call this
directory ``bloat,'' but I think that's exactly the term for it. Not
having it really isn't an inconvenience. In every distribution sysadmin's
had to either change what's in /etc/skel anyway, or have had no use for it
whatsoever. Sorry to rant.

Rob McMeekin (rrm3) <viper@mcmeekin.info> [www.mcmeekin.info]